Hazardous

Hazardous

Electrocution and exploding manholes are a public risk

Exploding manholes and manhole fires cause chaos and disruption every year, particularly across New York, where snow runoff and salt gets into the underground electrical infrastructures causing sparks, which ignite the gases built up inside the hole. Existing, widely-used carbon monoxide monitors can’t operate in wet or flooded conditions so there’s little or no warning of when or where a manhole explosion might occur.

CNIguard’s Manhole Monitoring System detects gas leakage to prevent manhole explosions occurring, while its stray voltage sensors search for electrified surfaces and send alerts to enable swift remedial action to be implemented. Powered by SENSORCORE®, additional sensors can be integrated to broaden the range of issues detected.

In 2004 doctoral student Jodie Lane was electrocuted in New York City as a result of stray voltage. Following her death, her family founded the Jodie S. Lane Public Safety Foundation to improve pedestrian safety relating stray voltage and created the annual Jodie S. Lane Stray Voltage Detection, Mitigation & Prevention Conference which is attended by power utilities and regulators from around the US to discuss and improve stray voltage detection programs.